This cool matrix by artist Jaaklo Seppala (via The Visual News) shows what different cartoon characters would look like drawn by other cartoonists, however he forgot to include the Land of Le Beef, so I took the liberty of adding an additional column on the far right.
Dear Diary: chapter 5
Happy New Year's everyone! I thought I would start the new year off with a few random things going on in my life right now...
1. My daughter Madeline has a habit of taking random things and hiding them in mysterious places. Her greatest feat so far has been making a xylophone key disappear without a trace. After months of looking everywhere for it we finally gave up hope. This week however, I finally found it hidden in amongst the branches of our christmas tree when I was taking it to the wood chippers.
2. There’s a dirty ugly rat living in my garage. Maybe he's not ugly by rat standards, but he's definitely ugly by human standards. I don’t have any phobias, but now I every time I open the garage door I'm afraid that a rat is going to run up my pant leg. If anyone knows either how to get rid of him or what to name him (or both), I’m all ears.
(Update: I got back from Christmas holidays and found a half decomposed frozen rat in my garage. I couldn't help but feel bad for the poor little guy. I showed my respect by ceremoniously flinging his body into a bush behind my house with a shovel).
3. HAIR UPDATE: As fans of the Beef know, my hair and I have been on a magical journey. After 34 years of being on this earth I finally decided to let it all grow out, and the results have been incredible. When people look at me, I can tell that they think my hair looks sexy and cool. It's currently down to just above my shoulders. I haven't decided how long I will let it grow, all I know is that I’m going to keep riding this groove train.
4. For Christmas my awesome wife got me a rugged new mountain stroller so that Madeline and I can go on crazy outdoor adventures. The illustration looks like me pushing a lawnmower, but I assure you that it is me pushing a cool new stroller up a mountain.
5. I never make new year’s resolutions, but I have decided that 2016 will be the year that I finally learn French. I’ve been making a loose effort to learn for the last couple of years, and now it's time to pick up the pace. If you happen to see me on the street, feel free to say ‘Bonjour’.
6. Starting this month I’m going to be taking an eight week illustration course at the Emily Carr University, and I’m super excited about it. On top of my regular weekly posts, expect to see lots of new and wonderful things here at the Land of Le Beef.
In the past I have called this segment '6 Things Happening in My Life Right Now'. Obviously that doesn't exactly roll of the tongue, so I decided to find a new name for it. After countless minutes of brainstorming (one name that I wisely rejected was 'A Peek Behind the Beef Curtains'), I finally found one. These segments are sort of like a visual journal, so the new name, 'Dear Diary' seemed fitting. Anyway, without further ado here is a peek inside my personal diary:
1. At age 1, my daughter has become infatuated with a Russian kids show called Masha & the Bear. It's about a young girl who hangs who spends her days pestering a bear that lives in the woods. We don't know why she loves it so much, but my wife and think it's because she sees a lot of herself in Masha; she sort of looks like her, and she also loves harassing fury creatures.
3. Once again I am currently back in Hong Kong for a few weeks for work (it's not easy being an internationally famous photographer). This will likely be my last trip to Hong Kong for a little while, so I will be stuffing myself with as many dumplings as possible while I'm here.
4. I make a special point of not crying on airplanes. Usually this is very easy - sit there, don't cry. On my recent flight however, I happened to watch a movie that made me break down in tears next to bunch of strangers . The movie was 'Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl'. It was actually a really funny movie, and overall well done. I recommend it. I also cried when I received the plane food, when my seat wouldn't recline, and when there was a line-up for the washroom.
5. I'm been busy working on this year's Land of Le Beef Advent Calendar, and I'm really excited for it. If you're new to the Land of Le Beef, every year I post a series of festive Christmas cartoons everyday from Dec 1 - Dec 25. This year it has a Hollywood theme, featuring elves re-enacting famous movies lines. I predict that it will go viral and sweep the nation. By Christmas day I should be pretty famous.
6. While in Hong Kong I'm staying with friends who own two cats, whom I refer to as the grey one and the brown one (this is what I call the cats, not the friends). They grey one really likes me.
I host a weekly illustration class with students at a school in Hong Kong, and last week I had the brilliant idea doing a class inspired by the work of Javier Perez. Basically we just grabbed a bunch of random stuff and turned them into other random stuff. Here's some of their pieces:
This is part 2 of the super popular Land of Le Beef exclusive series, "32 Bottles of Beer". Basically it's a loose, illustrative review of some random beers that have been delivered to me through the Beer of the Month Club at the Bottle Shop in Hong Kong. Since the first review, I have grown an appreciation for hops and IPA's, I have discovered a few breweries that are awesome, and I have learned how to draw a clown riding a really short unicycle.