Whenever my daughter and I sit down to draw together, she always wants me to draw a bee. I don't know why, but I'm sure she has her reasons. Anyway, every year for her birthday I like to make something special for her, so this year I decided to satisfy her desire for bees.
It's time for another exciting edition of 'Six Random Things Happening in My Life Right Now' (if anyone has a better name for this, please let me know).
1) This past week my daughter celebrated her first birthday. The day before her birthday she said her first word (it was 'cat'), and took her first steps. It was a great week.
2) My wife just bought a fancy sewing machine (anyone who knows my wife will be surprised by this; she's not always the most domesticated woman). I'm secretly excited about attempting to make my own pants.
3) Once again I'm back in Hong Kong for a couple of weeks for work (my actual work, not this cartooning business. However if anyone wants to fly me across the world for cartooning, be my guest).
4) This week I was one of the millions of Canadians who voted in the national election. The voting station was in an charmingly outdated school gymnasium which reminded me a lot of the elementary school that I went to (shout out to my Graminia School peeps).
5) On the plane to Hong Kong I finally got to watch Jurassic World. The movie itself wasn't that great, but I do love seeing dinosaurs come to life. Fun fact about me: I used to be a designer at a palaeontology museum (shout out to me Royal Tyrrell Museum peeps).
6) I make these iron-rich pancakes for my daughter using baby formula, and they taste even better than regular pancakes. Last time I made them I got distracted and left one on the frying pan for over 10 minutes.
every once in a while I like to do something really special, like draw a birthday gecko inside of a pelican's mouth*
* actually, a friend of mine was having a birthday, so I asked her what her favorite animal was so that I could make her a super awesome card. She said a pelican and a gecko, and that is how this illustration came to be. I think it might be the only one in existence.
if this is your very first time seeing pictures of animals holding signs that say happy birthday, then congratulations - you've just discovered Birthday Buddies!
birthday buddies were created with the sole purpose of bringing just a little bit more joy to the world.
next time you want to wish somebody a happy birthday on facebook, just go here and share one of these loveable characters on their wall - guaranteed to make your friends, family, and random acquaintances smile.